An Introduction to Leading with Kindness and Compassion in Health and Social Care
This is an online learning programme brought to you by The Kings Fund, available via FutureLearn. A free and a costed version are both available to access.
Learn what is meant by leading with kindness and compassion
This introductory three-week course from The King’s Fund is for anyone working in or interested in health and social care in its broadest sense, regardless of experience or role. It’s designed to introduce you to some of the foundations of leadership, kindness, and compassion. You’ll explore why these qualities matter now more than ever, and how to develop your personal practice of kind and compassionate leadership.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Engage with the evidence around why kindness and compassion is important for improving outcomes, staff wellbeing and performance and inclusive organisational cultures
- Reflect on your own leadership behaviours and the behaviours you see around you in the workplace
- Practice simple and every day techniques to model self-compassion and kindness towards others
- Discuss the wider systemic issues that prevent kindness and compassion from being present in health and care
- Explore the different ways in which we define the concepts of leadership, kindness and compassion
- Begin to develop a personal practice of kind and compassionate leadership
Who is the course for?
This course is primarily suited to:
- People working in health and social care, regardless of sector, role or seniority.
- Leaders in the NHS, local government, independent and voluntary, community and social enterprise sector.
- Learners who are thinking about working within the health and social care system
- Patients, service users and carers who use the health and social care system
Other learners said:
‘I found this course to be informative, full of insight and ideas with plenty of extra external links for further information. It was easy to follow and I enjoyed the videos. It’s definitely been helpful and I’m looking forward to implementing what I’ve learned into my daily working life.’
‘Really enjoyed this short course. Some great videos and excellent speakers. The suggested reading was varied and very interesting.
I felt I learnt a lot and it was thought provoking. Recommend anyone to undertake it.‘
‘A really good short course. Liked the delivery, the interaction on the video between speakers felt very real.
Topics were interesting and there was enough clarity on what kindness and compassion means for others and self. Would recommend this as an introduction to understand a very important trait as a leader.’