Leading to Change Community Event: Having challenging conversations with respect
This is a past event. Click here to download the Insights pack.
We continue to face challenging times across all sectors, with many people also facing personal challenges. This can result in more of our conversations feeling that they are difficult or challenging as people struggle to manage work and home pressures.
Challenging conversations and dealing with the impact of stress is a reality for all leaders across all sectors and can be more common during pressured times.
Having a difficult conversation creates an opportunity to build trust and respect; it shows that we care enough about the person to face the challenge alongside them.
With our contributors we will explore what we can learn from others about how to respond to challenging situations with compassion and address difficult conversations with respect.
We welcome these contributors to the conversation:
- Alyson McKechnie-Vale – Business Director & Creative Care Producer of Abbotsford Care
- Rosanne Cubitt – Head of Practice – Counselling and Mediation, Relationships Scotland
- Laic Khalique – Director of Digital Technology at NHS Tayside, Chair of NHS Scotland’s National Public Sector Minority Ethnic Equality Forum
With a focus on storytelling and reflections, our contributors will share how they have prepared and coped with their challenges and what the impact of responding respectfully and with compassion has meant for them and their colleagues. Collectively, we’ll explore what this means for us, in our own workplaces and in our day-to-day roles.
Click on our contributors’ names to find out more, including a short bio they prepared for this event.
Questions for us to consider:
- How do we stay compassionate towards each other and have supportive conversations with each other?
- How can we manage our own ability to deal with pressures when our wellbeing is hard to maintain? And how can we support others in doing the same?
Resources for you to consider:
If you would like to consider this topic in advance of the event, we recommend any one of these three resources to read, watch or listen to. They are quite different and are offered as optional thought-provokers for those who like to get into the topic in advance. Click the title to find out more.
- Read – 5 mins – How to handle difficult conversations at work
- Watch – 15 mins – When rudeness in teams turns deadly
- Listen – 26.32 mins – How to have difficult conversations