Leading to Change Community Event: Bringing your authentic self to work
- This is a past event. We have prepared an Insights Pack, which offers a summary of this event and includes short recordings featuring our contributors.
We’re heading into a tough time across all sectors, as well as many people facing personal challenges – it’s more important than ever that we are intentional in how we lead ourselves and others.
With our contributors, we will explore how we bring our authentic, or whole selves, to our role and how we lead ourselves and others. We will share how we celebrate differences and strengths, considering diversity and inclusion, all in the service of improving care overall.
Find out how to bring your best contribution as only you can and how it’s okay for us all to be different.
In this session we welcome:
– Manira Ahmad – Chief Officer, Public Health Scotland
– Meg Wright – Interim CEO at Covey Befriending
– Derek Holliday – Involvement Lead, Homeless Network Scotland
With a focus on storytelling and reflections, our contributors will share their experiences of bringing their authentic self into the workplace and how they have responded when this has felt difficult. Collectively, we’ll explore what this means for us, in our own workplaces and in our day-to-day roles using breakout groups.
Click on our contributors’ names to find out more, including a short bio they prepared for this event.
Questions for us to consider:
- What motivates us and what stops us from bringing our authentic self to work?
- How can you apply authenticity in a way that works for you and others?
- What does it take to create the safe space/the right environment that enables authentic leadership?
Resources for you to consider:
If you would like to consider this topic in advance of the event, we recommend any one of these three resources to read, watch or listen to. They are quite different and are offered as optional thought-provokers for those who like to get into the topic in advance. Click the title to find out more.
- Read – 5 mins – Bringing your authentic self to work
- Watch – 4.37 mins – TedTalk Video: bring your whole self to work
- Listen – 25 mins – Podcast: Working with Authenticity